THE REDEDICATION CEREMONY AND OFFICIAL TRANSFER OF THE BURRADON WAR MEMORIAL
20 NOVEMBER 2004 11AM
The Burradon War Memorial was built in 1921 in memory of people from the village who lost their lives during the Great War 1914-1918. The funds were donated by local residents.
By kind permission of the Newcastle Chronicle and Journal Ltd. Click to Enlarge
The War Memorial is a cottage which provided accommodation for a nurse who was employed by the miners from the local colliery to provide medical assistance for the miners and their families. The War Memorial is affectionately known as "The Nurses Cottage" and is situated on Station Road, Camperdown.
A trust comprising local miners was established to manage and maintain the Nurses Cottage.
Following the creation of the National Health Service, the community was no longer required to provide medical care for the local inhabitants and as a consequence the property was subsequently let to retired miners.
The colliery closed in November 1975 and during the subsequent period the condition of the Nurses Cottage deteriorated. The number of Trustees also declined and until 1999, Mr F Henderson was the sole survivor.
Mr Henderson approached the Burradon & Camperdown Forum ("Local Community Group") to ascertain whether the members would volunteer to act as Trustees. Mr Henderson advised that the property required a complete refurbishment to arrest the decline in the condition of the property and it was anticipated that the cost would be in the region of £20,000.
In the meantime, The Northumberland Aged Mineworkers Homes Association were approached to ascertain whether it would adopt the cottage to ensure the properly was properly maintained and to protect an important element of the village's mining and military history.
The Northumberland Aged Mineworkers Homes Association agreed to incorporate the property into its portfolio and invest the necessary funds to restore the Nurses Cottage, subject to the consent of the local community and the Commission.
The transfer of the Nurses Cottage to the Northumberland Aged Mineworkers Homes Association was approved at a public meeting held in August 2000. The Charity Commission sanctioned the transfer in 2003 following protracted negotiations.
The refurbishment of the Nurses Cottage was recently completed and the new tenant has occupied the property.
A Rededication Ceremony and the formal handover of the Nurses Cottage to The Northumberland Aged Mineworkers Homes Association was held on Saturday 20 November 2004 at 11am.
Major Anthony de Leask, National Almshouse Association unveiled a plaque commemorating the official transfer of the Nurses Cottage.
Councillor Marion Huscroft, The Deputy Chairman of North Tyneside Council laid a wreath and led the rededication of the War Memorial Cottage.
Mr Dennis Murphy, Member of Parliament for Wansbeck and President of The Northumberland Aged Mineworkers Homes Association also attended.
Retired miners and members of the local community attended, together with veterans of The Royal British Legion, Ex Services Associations, Service Cadets and Youth Organisations. Inspector Neil Simpson, Northumbria Police attended, together with the Headmaster and children of Burradon Primary School.
Rev Angela Maughan, The Church of Good Shepherd, Burradon, said prayers.
The local residents were privileged to participate in the ceremony with the veterans of the Royal British Legion and Ex Services Association. Although the weather was extremely cold the veterans attended with their medals on display and the number of standards on display was remarkable. The playing of the last post was extremely poignant and we all appreciated the bravery and modesty of the veterans who had generously given up their time to attend the ceremony.
Special thanks to local resident Major General Bill Campbell who organised the ceremony on behalf of the trustees of the Burradon War Memorial Trust.