Burradon Colliery Memorial
Prior to the discovery of coal and the development of the colliery in 1819, Burradon had been a farming hamlet.
With the industrial revolution and the demand for increasing quantities of coal to satisfy the insatiable appetite, Burradon Colliery continued its unrelenting expansion with a second shaft being sunk in 1837.
The colliery attracted workers to mine the coal and new customs and traditions developed with strong bonds of kinsman ship being forged by the shared sense of community. The miners and their family's lives were based on the ethics of hard work and honesty. The harsh living and working conditions created a deep sense of camaraderie which served the local community for generations.
The miners were visionaries and had been responsible for the provision of the local amenities which included the Church, Schools, and recreational facilities. The miners built the Nurses Cottage in 1921 to provide medical care for their families.
Following the closure of the Colliery on 8 November 1975, the very essence of the village's way of life were changed forever, regrettably, there was no permanent memorial to remind future generations of the village's unique industrial history and heritage.
In the circumstances, the Forum issued and appeal for any information relating the location of the winding wheels from the colliery. Fortunately, Mrs Rena Allan responded to the appeal and advised that her late husband Ken had recovered one of the wheels following the demolition of the Colliery. The wheel had been transferred to the premises of the Holywell Mining Company limited. Mr Little, director of the Holywell Mining Company Ltd, kindly agreed to return the wheel to the village.
Mr Jim Cowan, North Tyneside Council's Waggoway's officer constructed the plinth and co-ordinated the erection of the pit wheel to complete the memorial.
Rt Hon S Byers MP conducted the official dedication of the memorial on 10 June 2000 and the ceremony was attended by local residents and former workers of the Colliery.
David Charlton, Lord Mayor of North Tyneside, Cllr Jim Conway and Ralph Wilson also delivered speeches during the ceremony.