You Are Here: Home >The Burradon and Camperdown Forum > Millennium Green

Fryers Millennium Green

Fryers Terrace was constructed during the 1860's and provided accommodation for local mineworkers. The properties were demolished in 1954.

By Kind Permission of the Newcastle Chronicle and Journal Ltd. Click to Enlarge

Fryers Terrace is situated in the centre of the village and the land was derelict land. The Co-Op closed its store in the village and the empty boarded property deteriorated and was vandalised.

The properties adjacent to Fryers Terrace which had been "Paddy Mills" and latterly "Yankie Anne's," had been abandoned and as a consequence undermined the appearance of the village.

The revival of the village was dependent on the regeneration of Fryers Terrace and the derelict buildings in the surrounding area.

By Kind Permission of the Newcastle Chronicle and Journal Ltd. Click to Enlarge

The Forum appointed Northern Environmental Architects to prepare plans to redevelop the land and create a village green. The design was selected by the Countryside Agency as a Millennium Green and awarded a grant of £67,000. North Tyneside Council donated £67,000 from the planning gain it had received from the developers of the Greenhills Estate. North Tyneside Council had previously compulsorily purchased the land and granted a 999 year lease to the community.

The award of the Countryside Agency grant was subject to the formation of a separate trust and as a consequence Fryers Millennium Green Trust was created to undertake the development and management of the Millennium Green.

By Kind Permission of the Newcastle Chronicle and Journal Ltd. Click to Enlarge

Northern Environmental Workshops managed the project on behalf of the trust and John Hellen's Contractors Ltd constructed the Millennium Green.

The children of Burradon Primary School and members of Burradon Youth Group contributed ideas for the mosaic and perimeter fence.

The contract commenced on the 25 September 2001 and was completed on 4 December 2001 which represented a record for the completion of a Millennium Green.

Rt Hon Steven Byers MP conducted the official opening on 8 December 2001 and the event was attended by local residents and representatives of the agencies involved with the creation of the Millennium Green.