Burradon and Camperdown 1066-1820
by Alan Fryer
1066-1820 CAMPERDOWN (KILLINGWORTH TOWNSHIP)
1066-1820 CAMPERDOWN OR HESLERIGG (WEETSLADE TOWNSHIP)
1066-1346 BURRADON TOWNSHIP (BARONY OF WHALTON)
1066-1346 BURRADON TOWNSHIP (WIDDRINGTON HOLDING)
1066-1542 BURRADON TOWNSHIP (KILLINGWORTH HOLDING) Held from the Widdrington family (see above)
1066-1586 BURRADON TOWNSHIP (BURRADON FAMILY HOLDING) Held from the Widdrington family
1066-1441 BURRADON TOWNSHIP (OGLE HOLDING)
1066-1560 BURRADON TOWNSHIP (GRAPER HOLDING) Held from the Ogle family.
1520-1820 BURRADON TOWNSHIP (OGLE AND ORDE HOLDINGS)
The records that have survived concerning Burradon and Camperdown mostly relate to landholding and property transfer. Very little is mentioned of tenants and their way of life.
Burradon and Camperdown were in separate baronies and did not become a community until the 1820s. In the following text they will be discussed separately. Each township is recorded chronologically and by the landholders down the social order.
1066-1820 CAMPERDOWN (KILLINGWORTH TOWNSHIP)
Ogle Coat of Arms
Camperdown didn't come into existence until around the 1820s. South of the main road that passes through the villages the lands that Camperdown would later stand on were at one edge of Killingworth township, which was in turn part of Longbenton parish. It was held as part of the barony of Merlay (Morpeth). Land within the township was held and tenemented by many individuals and institutions, the main ones being the Killingworth family.
1373 - A detailed survey (written) was made of Killingworth in this year. The township was divided into fields (more than twenty named) and within each field the various landholders farmed strips, or selions, of land. Fifteen landholders are mentioned as holding tenements in Killingworth and strips of land scattered among the fields. One of the fields mentioned is Dimisdale (Dymmyngesdale). This name survived until the 18th century and can be identified with the lands abutting Burradon Township
1704 - The last male heirs of the Killingworth family, Oliver and Luke, were by this date dead and the lands that they had held in Killingworth were divided out between their sisters: Mehitabel, Deborah, Blandina and Bethseba. Dimisdale was assigned to Mehitabel Killingworth, wife of Thomas Partis.
c. 1737 - Dimisdale farm and other lands in Killingworth were sold to John Williams of the Close Gate glass house.
1763 - John Williams died leaving his Killingworth property to his son, John Williams, who rebuilt Killingworth Hall.
1767 - John Williams sold his land and property in Killingworth to George Colpitts. Colpitts was to pay a land tax of £8 4s. 9d. in this year and again in 1779. This is just short of the figure for Burradon Township. We can therefore calculate that he held about 500 acres
1790 - Elizabeth Harrison, the niece and heiress of George Colpitts, married Henry Utrick Reay of Co. Durham and brought ownership of the lands by marriage to him.
1793 - The common lands of Killingworth Township were enclosed by a parliamentary act. It is possible that some enclosure had taken place previous to this date - Dimisdale Farm could be almost synonomous with Hill Head farm which survived until the 1960s. Each landholder was allocated a tract of land within the township to enclose, where before they would have had scattered strips and closes throughout the township. This land would become an individual farm each one adjoining the village of Killingworth. Henry Utrick Reay was allocated Hill Head farm, although part of this may have been sold shortly afterwards to the Ogle family of Burradon. Thomas Pugh was allocated West House farm which ran to the line where Moor View now occupies. He was also allocated White House farm which covered the west side of Camperdown where the industrial estate now occupies. See the Ownership Map of Killingworth Farms.
1828 Mar.13 - Henry Utrick Reay died in London. His eldest daughter Elizabeth Anne inherited his lands. She married Matthew Bell of Woolsington. They were to live in Killingworth Hall. He served as a member of Parliament.
- NCH XIII pp 418-429
- Proc SOA 1923 p 238
After the Norman conquest, William I rewarded his followers with land. They didn't own it, they just held it in return for military service. Having a tenant-in-chief, or Baron as they were styled, resident in an area was important in controlling strategic areas and the local population. This grant of land was known as a barony. The barons had to provide armed men, known as knights. These in turn were enfeoffed of land by their immediate lord in return for military service and their loyalty.
The barons and knights wanted the English to work the land for them, but they didn't want the responsibility of feeding and caring for them. Instead, the peasants were granted a small amount of land and a smallholding, known as a toft, in return for working the lord's land for two or three days per week. The majority of the peasants were unfree - that is, they were the property of their lord.
Norman settlement occurred at a later date in the North-East than the more southerly areas of England. By the late 12th century military service and tenancy was often being commuted for a payment in money or goods.
The peasant tenants were most often known as bondsmen in this part of England. They held between 18-48 acres in the open common fields. Their houses were grouped together as a village in the centre of a tract of land known as a township. The village would be surrounded by a field where the tenants would hold strips of arable land. The outlying parts of the township were wooded or of meadow land for common grazing. The village may also have had two or three freeholders. These may have been granted their freedom in return for particular favours or good service to a lord. There may also have been cottagers who held up to six acres in the common fields.
Over time, the feudal system diminished and by the early 16th century most tenants owed no service to a lord and held their property for a rent payment.
The villager's smallholdings, or tofts, were between 150-450ft in length. This would be enclosed with a wall or hedge and often at the rear there would be a back lane. The tofts would often be divided into two parts with the house facing the village green, or road, and a paddock and garden at the rear.
Evidence of medieval ploughing can still be seen as "ridge and furrow" earthworks in three fields surrounding Burradon Farm: High Garth, Malt Pool Close and less clearly at New Intake.
Field Name Map
Tyne and Wear HER 795
R. Lomas, North-East England in the Middle Ages
1066-1820 CAMPERDOWN OR HESLERIGG (WEETSLADE TOWNSHIP)
The northern part of Camperdown was in South Weetslade township, part of the parish of Longbenton, although a settlement did not come into existence here until the 1820s. The settlement was at first known as Heslerigg.
South Weetslade township was part of the Barony of Merlay, centred on Morpeth. It was held from the lord of Merlay by a family who took the name of Weetslade.
1240 - Geoffrey of Weetslade bought land in South Weetslade from Ralph of Stanton, Nicholas Crawe, William son of Hawise and Richard the son of Robert. Geoffrey quitclaimed (released) half a carucate (1 carucate = 105 acres) of this land, called Luvesland, to Adam Baret.
1242 - In the Book of Knight's Fees (feudal tenure in which one knight's fee required the holder to provide military service for forty days, fully armed and with a retinue of servants) it is recorded that Geoffrey of Weetslade held South Weetslade from Roger de Merlay III for one third of a knight's fee.
1256 - Geoffrey of Weetslade came to an agreement with Roger Bertram and Agnes, his mother, concerning their rights of common land in Weetslade and nearby Mason. Roger was a minor at this time. The Bertrams relinquished to Geoffrey of Weetslade their right of common land in Weetslade, saving right of access to the well at Thurspottes.
1281 - The family of Heslerigg had acquired a holding in South Weetslade as in this year a Simon of Heslerigg, lord of Weetslade and West Brunton was mentioned. The Heslerigg family were from a village of the same name near the Scottish border and were upwardly mobile at this time. This was probably the Heslerigg's first major acquisition.
1296 - The lay subsidy (a tax levied on effects, if over 10s. worth held, at one eleventh) for this year is as follows:
- Walter of Thorneton £5 10s. 8d. paid £0 10s. ¾ d.
- John son of Eustace £2 01s. 4d. paid £0 03s. 09d.
- Richard son of Eustace £2 13s. 4d. paid £0 04s. 10d.
- Robert son of Eustace £1 10s. 0d. paid £0 02s. 8 ¾ d.
Sum £11 15s. 04d. paid £0 21s. 4 ½ d.
It is interesting to note that none of the Weetslade family were assessed for effects within the township. Were they resident at this time? Was their main base somewhere else?
1312 - The lay subsidy (levied on value of effects at one tenth) for this year is as follows:
- Walter of Thorneton £4 7s. 4d. paid £0 8s. 8 ¾ d.
- John son of Eustace £2 10s. 0d. paid £0 5s. 0d.
- Richard Deckyn £2 0s. 4d. paid £0 4s. 0 ½ d.
- Robert son of Eustace £1 10s. 0d. paid £0 3s. 0d.
Sum £10 7s. 8d. paid £0 20s. 9 ¼ d.
Once again no mention is made of the Weetslade family.
1336 - Lay subsidy. The subsidy roll for this year does not separately assess North and South Weetslade. The totals are:
- Roger de Hall paid 2s. 8d.
- John son of Robert 3s. 4d.
- John de Yarom 2s. 8d.
- Adam son of John 2s.
- John of Kene 3s. 4d.
- Robert son of John 4s.
- John of Weetslade 5s. Total 23s.
It is almost impossible to know which of these taxpayers are from South Weetslade. It is interesting to note that in 1312 there were eleven taxpayers in Weetslade township as a whole, but only seven in 1336, although the seven actually pay slightly more tax. John of Weetslade is probably from north Weetslade as the family is mentioned there in previous subsidy rolls.
c. 1350 - The Weetslade family were still holding at least part of South Weetslade, even if they were not residing there, as Hugh of Weetslade and Agnes his wife pay 13s. 4d. for south Weetslade to the king in feudal aids (a gift from a free tenant to his lord exacted on three occasions, e.g. The marriage of his daughter).
1360 - Land belonging to John of Weetslade in 1317 was confiscated by the king for his part in Gilbert de Middleton's rebellion. The land was granted to William de Heslerigg. This fortuitously increased the Heslerigg family's holdings.
1429 Jan.3 - Roger Thornton, often described as the Dick Whittington of Newcastle (he was many times the mayor), died in this year. Sometime before this date he had acquired part of the Merlay family barony in the parish of Longbenton. In an inquisition held after his death it is recorded that: "Thomas Heslerigge held South Weetslade from Roger, which was part of the moiety of Longbenton, by certain services there set out". The Heslerigg family were to become powerful and influential figures on the national scene. Many of the family members resided at their estates in Leicester, but still had an active interest in Newcastle's political scene. This was especially true in the 17th century. Sir Arthur Heslerigg MP Played a very active part in the English Civil war and was mentioned in Pepys' famous diaries.
1721 - Sir Robert Heslerigge voted in the General Election of 1721 as a freeholder of South Weetslade.
1763 - On the death of Sir Arthur Heslerigg the 539 acres of South Weetslade were sold to Charles Brandling. Brandling was from an old Tyneside family who had owned most of the lands around Gosforth since Plantaganet times.
1768-9 - Brandling pays exactly £9.00 in land tax for South Weetslade.
1806 - Charles Brandling pays £8 19s.6d. land tax. In 1812 and 1824 as well as being the landowner he is also listed as being an occupier of the land, his occupation plot being worth 5s.6d. tax to the Treasury.
- NCH XIII pp 430-435
- AA3 Vol. VI pp 18-19
- Hodgson Pt III Vol. 1 p 204
1066-1346 BURRADON TOWNSHIP (BARONY OF WHALTON)
Whalton lies about ten miles west of Burradon. Burradon was a detached part of this barony.
1166 - In a survey taken by Henry II of lands and services due to him, Walter fitz William, the baron of Whalton, informed the king that he had sub-granted to Bertram de Widdrington the township of Widdrington and half (a moiety) of the township of Burradon. Gilbert de Ogle was granted the township of Ogle. William de Newham was also granted various amounts of land from the demesne of Whalton barony. Widdrington's grant was given before 1162 as one of the witnesses, William de Grenville, died in or about the year 1162.
1172 - Walter fitz William paid scutage (money paid instead of military service obligations) for the barony in this year.
1197 - Ralph de Cramaville, the husband of Constance, the heiress of Walter fitz William, and by this time deceased, paid scutage (a payment in lieu of military service) for the barony.
1198 - Ralph de Cramaville's widow, Constance, pays a fine to the king so that she will not be forced to marry against her will (Under feudal law the king had a right to nominate who a widow of a baron should marry).
1203-4 - The lands are in the king's hands.
1204 - Robert de Cramavill, the son and heir of Ralph and Constance de Cramaville, pays a fine and relief (a payment made on entry to a landholding) to be entered into the barony of Whalton.
1205 - Robert de Cramavill grants the whole of the barony of Whalton to Robert fitz Roger the lord of Warkworth barony.
1346 - In the Book of Knight's Fees it is recorded that the Ogle and Widdrington families held Burradon direct from the king. The barony had either been sequestered or the holders had fallen on hard times.
- NCH IX pp43-52
1066-1346 BURRADON TOWNSHIP (WIDDRINGTON HOLDING)
Before 1162 - Bertram de Widdrington was granted the township of Widdrington and half of Burradon (a moiety) by the baron of Whalton. Soon after this date he was sub-granting this moiety as the Widdrington family were based at the village of Widdrington, which is about ten miles north of Burradon. They later built a small castle there.
c.1170 - The right of the Widdringtons to the property of Widdrington and a moiety of Burradon was in dispute, William Tasca having accused Bertram de Widdrington of unjust possession. He filed to have his case heard at the court of the Baron of Whalton, presided over by Odinel de Umfraville, and gave his bond to prosecute by duel or trial of battle. However, he, and his appointed representative, failed to appear. 29 witnesses appeared for the defendant and many documents were produced which apparently proved ownership. The court therefore decided that Bertram was the rightful owner of the possessions of Widdrington and Burradon. HHN pt2 vol2 p223.
1240 - In a document known as Testa de Neville (Book of Knight's Fees) Gerard of Widdrington is recorded as holding Widdrington and half of Burradon for one knight's fee.
1346 - Gerard of Widdrington was assessed to pay 11 shillings lay subsidy tax for his effects in Widdrington and Burradon. The collectors, however, reported having trouble getting their dues from Widdrington.
1592 Oct 21 - An inquest was taken into the possessions of Sir Henry Widdrington who had died on the 15th February. He had been Sheriff of Northumberland in 1579. Apart from the main holding of Widdrington and its castle, he also possessed the manors of Swinburne, Haughton and Humshaugh as well as lands in Buckley, Bingfield, Henshaugh, Whittington, Burradon, Towlands and Coulter. He died without any issue, although Lady Widdrington survived him. He had a brother Edward and a sister Dorothy, who both had issue, but no mention seems to be made again of Burradon in connection to the Widdrington family. This is around the same period that the Ogle family were buying out the whole township of Burradon. A conveyance of the property seems likely. In 1568 (Lawson's manuscript) Henry's father, Sir John Widdrington, held an even larger estate including Chibburn and Plessey which included the township of Weetslade. The family had greatly increased their wealth and influence between 1346 and 1568. HHN pt2 vol2 pp235-236.
- Hodgson Pt III Vol. 1 p204
- NCH IX p 43-52
- AA3 Vol. II p23
1066-1542 BURRADON TOWNSHIP (KILLINGWORTH HOLDING)
Held from the Widdrington family (see above)
c.1166 - Oclard of Burradon was granted the moiety of Burradon held by the Widdrington family. A charter of a later date (c.1200) by Geoffrey de Widdrington to Oclard, or Oelard, confirmed this original grant that his father had made. Oclard had to pay a yearly rent of ten shillings on St. Cuthbert's day for this moiety. He also paid 3s. 4d. On the first Sunday in May for Castle Ward, which was to provide a military force in Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
1268 Oct. 1 or Oct. 5 - A quitclaim was made by William of Killingworth, the son of Ralf, and grandson of Adam, to Roger Baret of Burradon, of all his land in Burradon. This land had formerly belonged to his grandmother Asceline, daughter of Geliana. Roger Baret was probably the brother of Sir Adam Baret (knighted 1278) who was the main landholder in Walker. William of Killingworth's brother, Henry, also granted to Roger Baret his land in Burradon and the customary services of Henry Hyring. This grant was of thirty acres of land with a toft (the land stretching as a strip from the main village street where a residents house stood, the rear being used as a smallholding) and croft. All the parties concerned in these grants were probably descended from Oelard of Burradon, but it is not certain that they were in the main line of Killingworths which held Killingworth township itself, although the main line of the Killingworth family were also possibly descended from Oclard. (see 1312)
1283-85 - A grant was made to Roger Baret of Burradon of a share in two messuages in Burradon formerly belonging to John Wythelard (who is identifiable as Oclard).
1293 - In a lawsuit of this year Roger Baret and his brother Adam, of Walker, sued William Prudhume and Adam Tod, son of Robert, and Thomas Dryng for lands in Killingworth. This land had been inherited by all the persons mentioned above from Alice, wife of Wythelard (Oclard). The Baret brothers were not successful in their claim. It was mentioned, however, in this lawsuit that Roger Baret held in Burradon by hereditary descent from Alice de Killingworth, mentioned above, a messuage (a house and the ground that surrounded it) and fifty acres of land.
1296 - A lay subsidy tax roll exists for this year but does not mention Roger Baret or any of the Killingworth family in connection with Burradon. Roger Baret does pay the subsidy in Longbenton, however (£5 18s 8d), where he is assessed at the largest amount for this area, lands he married into the holding of. Burradon was not however, assessed as separate entity in this year and therefore Roger Baret and Adam Killingworth, although they were in previous documents described as being from Burradon, paid tax in other areas.
1312 - The lay subsidy collected in this year lists Roger Baret and Adam Killingworth as owning effects in Burradon:
- Roger Baret £2 15s 4d paid 5s 6 ½ d
- Adam Killingworth £0 10s paid 0d 1s 0d
If your effects were valued at under 10s you were exempt from paying this tax. This possibly explains why Adam Killingworth didn't pay anything in 1296 as his effects may have at that time been valued at less than this threshold.
1369 - John Killingworth, the son of Richard and his wife Agnes Hawkswell, and also the grandson of Adam Killingworth mentioned in 1312, made a settlement of his lands in Killingworth and Burradon on his three sons: Robert, Adam and John.
1402 Aug. 25 - Roger Baret had left descendants for on this date Thomas de Ulesby quitclaimed to Margery, the sister and heir of Thomas Baret, a chaplain, all rights to lands and tenements in Burradon.
1428 - In a national survey of land held, it was noted that Adam Killingworth and Roger of Bothe had been put in possession of a moiety of Burradon. Roger of Bothe's holdings will be elaborated upon in the section on the de Burradon family. Adam Killingworth though, is only mentioned in this document as holding the Killingworth and Baret portion of Burradon. It must be assumed that he had acquired the other interests in this quarter part of Burradon at some stage. Adam Killingworth , the son of John Killingworth mentioned in 1369, was in the main line of Killingworths which held Killingworth itself.
1463 - William Killingworth, believed to be the son of Adam mentioned in 1428, settled his lands in the hands of Richard Killingworth and others. The lands consisted of Killingworth, Burradon, Fenham, Jesmond and Wolviston in Durham.
1542 - John Killingworth, son of Richard (above) took legal action, successfully, against the owner of the other moiety of Burradon, George Orde, to recover lands in Burradon.
- NCH XIII 418-429
- Brumell Collection of Charters AA2 1903 pp 115-116
- NCH IX pp 43-52
- Fraser, C. SOA, Lay Subsidy, 1296
- AA3 II, Killingworth Landholding in 1379
- Hodgson Pt III Vol. 1 p204, Testa de Neville
1066-1586 BURRADON TOWNSHIP (BURRADON FAMILY HOLDING)
Held from the Widdrington family
Early 13th century - A charter of this period relates to a Walter de Burradon who held half a carucate (1 carucate = 105 acres) of land within Burradon. Walter granted this land to his nephew Richard (or possibly some other relation), in return for one pound of peppers to be paid annually to him or his heirs. The land had formerly been tenanted by Adam son of Merwin and Richard son of Gunnilt who paid two marks per year (1 mark = 13s. 4d.). It is not clear whether Walter of Burradon held his land direct from the Widdrington family or from the Killingworth family who it is supposed from documents of this period held half of Burradon.
c.1290 - Alice daughter of John Doune of Tynemouth held some arable land and adjacent meadow in Burradon. This she granted in return for a fee farm rent of 7 ½ d. To William son of Roger of Burradon, who was possibly a descendant of Walter of Burradon, and so increasing the family's holdings. What is not clear, however, is who Alice held it from in the first place.
1296 - A Robert of Burradon pays the lay subsidy tax of 2s. 6 ½ d. In Horton. His effects were assessed at £1 7s. 10d. He is possibly connected to the family mentioned above.
1304 - Robert of Burradon was a witness to a charter concerning Peter Graper.
1310 Aug. 17 - Robert of Burradon was witness to a document relating to Thomas of Gosforth and Nicholas Ellirker.
1312 - Robert of Burradon paid the lay subsidy of this year in Horton. He was to pay 6s. 2d.
1336 - A William de Burneton died in this year. As will become apparent in later paragraphs he can definitely be identified as the holder of this portion of Burradon lands. It is possible that he was the same William de Burneton who was bailiff of Newcastle in 1307 and Mayor between 1313 and 1330. He represented Newcastle in Parliament in 1307 and was Mayor of Berwick-upon-Tweed in 1335. He left his manor of Hollinside in Durham to his son, Thomas. Burradon must have been part of this settlement, although it is not mentioned by name, as will later become apparent. (See Welford, History of Newcastle and Gateshead.)
1367/8 - John de Burneton conveyed Hollinside to Hugh del Redhugh to hold in tail (to be conveyed to the heir of Hugh).
Before 1412 - Hollinside was conveyed to Roger de Bothe by Thomas del Redhugh, the son of Hugh. Thomas died in 1412.
1428 - In the book of knights' fees entry for this year Roger de Bothe and Adam Killingworth are listed as holding a moiety of Burradon by the service of a ¼ of a knights' fee. It can be calculated that each held approximately 125 acres.
1444 - Roger de Bothe obtained a licence to settle Hollinside in reversion (to be returned to the grantor or his heirs) on his son-in-law Roger Harding who had married his daughter Elizabeth. (See Surtees, Durham, vol. ii p252 for family information).
1493 - Richard Harding son of Roger Harding and Elizabeth de Bothe held certain tenements in Burradon.
1495 - Richard Harding of Hollinside granted to William Baxter an annuity of 13s. 4d. From tenements in Burradon in the tenure of William and John Malwyn.
1570 - Ralph Harding, grandson of Richard Harding mentioned in 1495, made a conveyance of four messuages and orchards, two cottages, six tofts and gardens and land and moor in Burradon to Oliver Ogle, who was clearly in the process of acquiring the whole township. This holding is apparently on ¼ of the lands of the township of Burradon. Twelve dwellings in total are mentioned here. It can be assumed that more dwellings existed in the other portions of Burradon. This compares to six dwellings, occupied by twenty-nine persons on the first census of 1801. It was obviously a substantial village at this time when in the period 1420-1440 the township was recorded as being almost worthless.
1586 - An inventory of this year, after the death of William Read, a merchant with a shop in Newcastle, lists him owing £3 6s. 8d. For his farm at Burradon. He owed 6s. 8d. For the tithe, £5 10s. For the hindes (farm labourers) "boule corn" (22 bowls), 20s. To the smith for ploughing gear and 26s. 8d. For the hindes wages. It is not stated who he owed the money to for his farm at Burradon, although a Mr. William Harding of Newham, Henry Orde and a Bertram Orde are listed among his creditors. These are not however, in connection with Burradon.
- NCH IX App p372
- Surtees Society CXXXVIII
- NCH IX p 43-52
- Surtees Society Vol. 12, Wills and inventories at Durham
- NCH IX p 256, p 359, p 260
1066-1441 BURRADON TOWNSHIP (OGLE HOLDING)
Before 1162 - The Ogle family were granted the village of Ogle by the barons of Whalton. (Ogle was near to Whalton and in the barony.)
1198 - 1202 - The Ogle family's grant is extended to include a moiety of Burradon. A confirmation of this grant was made by Robert de Cramavill, the lord of Whalton in c.1204.
1222 - Agnes, the widow of Gilbert de Ogle III, claimed a third of the Burradon lands (eighty-four acres) as was the custom in feudal practice to support a widow. She claimed this from Thomas de Ogle, who was guardian of the land, as her son Hugh de Ogle was underage at this time and could not be admitted to his inheritance.
1240 - The Book of Knight's Fees (Testa de Neville) records that Thomas Ogle holds the village of Ogle and half of Burradon for 1 ½ knight's fees.
1241 - Adam de Replinton quitclaimed to Gilbert de Ogle III all right to a quarter part of the manor of Burradon and to 8s. Rent that the township produced. This indicates that the Ogle family were subletting their holding by this time and that it was tenanted.
Before 1290 - The Ogle family sub-enfeoffed their moiety of Burradon to Peter Graper. His connection with the holding is documented in the next section.
1346 - In a tax of this year, Robert Ogle paid 20s. For Ogle and half of the township of Burradon.
1441 - In an inquisition post mortem of a descendant of the Graper holding, this half of Burradon was found to be held of Sir Robert Ogle. This is the last mention of the main Ogle line in connection with Burradon.
- NCH IX p 43-52
1066-1441 BURRADON TOWNSHIP (GRAPER HOLDING)
Held from the Ogle family.
Probably before 1290 - The moiety of Burradon held by the Ogle family was granted to Peter Graper, a wealthy merchant of Newcastle. Graper was a mayor of Newcastle in 1304-1306 and owned much land and property within the city. It seems likely that the Burradon moiety was alienated before 1290 as after the passing of the Statute of Quia Emptores in this year land that was alienated was now held directly from the monarch.
1296 - In the lay subsidy tax roll of this year, Peter Graper was the only person assessed for the township of Burradon, although the tax returns were filed along with the returns of Killingworth. This could indicate an underdeveloped state of Burradon.
- Peter Graper £4 15. 4d. Paid 8s. 8d.
1312 - Lay Subsidy
- Peter Graper £5 10s. 4d. Paid 11s. 0 ½ d.
1387 - Alice Graper, daughter of Adam Graper, who was the heir of Peter Graper, and her husband Nicholas Sabraham entailed Burradon upon their son-in-law and daughter, Walter and Alice Lewyn.
19 Hen VI - Alice Graper had first been married to Robert Orde. Although she left descendants in the male line, to a sixth generation, from her second husband Nicholas Sabraham, the Burradon holding eventually descended to the family by her first husband. In an Inquisition Post Mortem of this year it is stated that an enfeoffment of the property was made by John Luton, a chaplain, and John Scaleby to William and Christiana Orde.
1428 - In an inquisition post mortem (an inquiry into the possessions of a deceased person who held land from the crown) the manor (or moiety) was returned as being worth only 26s.
1441 - In an inquisition post mortem the moiety was worth only 20s by reason of the barrenness of the soil and the devastation of the countryside by war and Scottish invasions.
- NCH IX p 43-52
1520-1820 BURRADON TOWNSHIP (OGLE AND ORDE HOLDINGS)
1525 Jan.20 - John Ogle of Ogle castle was a second cousin once removed of Robert, 4th lord Ogle, the head of the main line of the family which held Burradon. The main line of the Ogle family had not been mentioned in any documents relating to Burradon since 1441. It may be that they had relinquished ownership at some stage. It was on this date that John Ogle, for services to the Ogle family and on the marches, was given lands in Ogle and the office of constable of Ogle castle.
1526 Jan.14 - John Ogle leased from lord Ogle the manor and castle of Ogle for 41 years at a rent of £14 per annum. The main line of the Ogles were perhaps residing at their other property in Bothal. The descendants of John Ogle would play a part in Burradon life at a later date (see below).
1542 - The Orde family continued to hold a moiety of Burradon as George Orde was successfully sued by John Killingworth for an encroachment on his land.
1548 - George Orde conveyed to his nephew, Bertram Anderson of Newcastle, his manor of Burradon and lands in Jesmond and Elswick. (George Orde was the son of Robert Orde who d. 1520 Feb. 01. George's sister Anne or Agnes married Henry Anderson.) Bertram Anderson may have resided at Burradon and the historian H.H.E. Craster identifies him as the probable builder of Burradon tower, which is first mentioned in 1569. The Anderson family were wealthy and influential merchants of Newcastle during the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries.
1553 - Bertram Anderson is described as of Burradon in a list of border commissioners drawn up in this year.
1559 - Henry Anderson, son and heir of Bertram Anderson, re-conveyed the Burradon lands to John Orde, son of George.
1563 - Bertram Anderson leased from the crown, for twenty-one years, the tithes of corn of Burradon,
1569 - A deed, produced in a later disputed court case, showed that John Orde conveyed to Oliver Ogle the tower and moiety of the "manor" of Burradon. This took the form of a mortgage for eighty pounds over fourteen years. After the final payment was made Ogle was to hold the premises for thirty-two years as a tenant and farmer to the mortgagor (until c.1615). Oliver Ogle was the grandson of John Ogle (see 1525) and son of Lancelot who d. 1565.
1570 - Oliver Ogle purchased the Harding lands in the other moiety of Burradon.
1594 Feb. 17 - Earsdon parish registers record a marriage between George Orde and Katheran Ogle, the daughter of Oliver Ogle. Both Parties were from Burradon. This shows that the Ogle family were residing at Burradon by this date. In fact the Earsdon parish registers regularly record Ogle family events up until the 1670s.
1598 Jan.7 - William Brown a servant to Oliver Ogle, "a gentleman of Burradon", was buried at Earsdon. This not only confirms the Ogle presence in Burradon, but also something of their status in that they had servants. In fact another servant of the Ogles is mentioned in the Earsdon parish registers in 1605 and throughout the early 17th century several labourers are mentioned as being from Burradon. This could perhaps indicate that the Ogle family cleared the village, on their purchasing of the whole township, of smallholders and farmed the land directly themselves through a paid workforce. This was often the norm in this period as land was turned over to more profitable sheep farming. A contraction of the village in terms of population can be assumed.
1620 - Thomas Orde, grandson of John Orde (see 1569) took legal action against Lancelot Ogle, son of Oliver, to reclaim the Orde family's holdings in Burradon. Lancelot produced two deeds of release from 1578 given by John Orde to Oliver Ogle d.1616. It would appear that the loan had been paid off. Thomas Orde argued that the contract should be void as it was undervalued. He claimed that the tower alone was worth £100 yearly. The claim was thought to be exaggerated and was not upheld.
1626 - In an inquisition post mortem on the property held by Oliver Ogle, who died in 1616, it was stated that he held all of Burradon township. He had obviously at some time purchased the Killingworth's holding as well as the Hardings and Ordes. His daughter, Fortune, had married Oliver Killingworth of Killingworth. The historian McKenzie, in 1825, stated that Earsdon parish is divided into 66 1/2 farms of which the township of Burradon had five. By 1825 these farms had been amalgamated into just two holdings.
1633 - The initials LO and the date 1633 are etched into the fireplace at Burradon tower. LO is presumed to stand for Lancelot Ogle.
1637 Feb. 04 - The case between Orde and Ogle was still being disputed in the courts of chancery.
1648 Nov. 28 - Catherine the daughter of Edward Orde of Burradon, described as a gentleman, was baptised at Earsdon. (Edward was presumably a descendant of George and Catherine Orde married in 1594.) This indicates that Ordes were still residing at Burradon up until this time. It would also indicate that that there may have been another dwelling of some status other than the pele tower.
1640 - Lancelot Ogle died in this year. He was approximately fifty-eight years old. His brother Hector had also been described as from Burradon on his death in 1613. The heir to Lancelot Ogle was his daughter Jane (bap. 1622). Jane had married her distant cousin, James Ogle, who was from a branch of the family residing at Causey Park near Morpeth. James fought as a Major of Foot under the Earl of Newcastle on the Royalist side during the English civil war. When Parliament had Charles I imprisoned, James Ogle was branded a delinquent by the Parliamentarians and in 1646 he petitioned to be allowed to compound for his delinquency. He was fined on his wife's lands and tenements in Burradon. However, the fine does not seem to have caused financial ruin as the Ogles managed to retain ownership of the lands until the mid-19th century.
1655 Mar.30 - Jane Ogle was buried in Earsdon quire.
1664 Dec. - Major James Ogle died and was buried at St. Andrews, Newcastle. His lands in Burradon were inherited by his son, William. William did not appear to reside at Burradon between the period 1664-1676.
1664-1676 - The hearth tax returns for the period 1664-74 show that the lands were being tenanted by a yeoman farmer William Armourer, who was almost certainly living in the pele tower, which by this time must have been extended as it had five hearths. The hearth tax returns for Burradon are listed below (2s. charged on each hearth in a home worth over 20s.):
- Mr. Armourer 5
- John Dodds 1
- Ralph Harrison 1
- No Exempt Poor
- Mr. Armourer 5
- J. Dodds 1
- R. Harrison 1
- T. Howler E
- J. Swanson E
- Mr. Armourer 5
- R. Wright 1
- R. Lampton 1
- No exempt poor
E = Exempt. No. = Number of Hearths.
The return for 1674 is not divided into townships, only the return for the whole of Earsdon parish is shown, but no William Armourer is mentioned in this year and no dwelling in the whole of Earsdon parish is assessed at more than one hearth. Only Robert Wright is mentioned as a name continuing from 1666. This would suggest that the lands were untenanted at this time. It could also simply be that the assessors were not allowed access to the pele tower. Also what is suggested from all four returns is the residents of Burradon were landless labourers who were fairly mobile, probably being hired on a yearly basis.
1676 - William Ogle, the heir of James and Jane, was said to be from Burradon when he was elected to the four and twenty (parish council) for Earsdon parish. He perhaps was overseeing farm operations himself during a period when he couldn't find a tenant farmer to occupy the lands.
1678 Jul. 09 - Samuel, a son of Edward Rutter, is buried at Earsdon church. This is the first mention of the Rutter family in documentation relating to Burradon. Although the occupation of Edward Rutter is not stated in the Earsdon parish register entries, he does appear to be of some status and in 1693 was elected to be a churchwarden. It is probable that he was a tenant farmer at Burradon.
1685 - First mention of William Pace in the Earsdon parish registers. He is also likely to have been a tenant farmer in the other moiety of Burradon. He served as a churchwarden in 1687. This is the last mention of a Pace family member in the registers however.
1709 - The Pace farm is by this date being tenanted by John Cook, who is styled as Mr. In the three entries relating to him in the Earsdon parish registers. He is last mentioned in 1712.
1716 - The first entry for Robert Alder in the Earsdon parish registers. No clue as to occupation or status is given for Robert, but his long occupancy (until at least 1732) and his filling a gap in the dates between other known tenant farmers suggests that he was probably a tenant farmer himself.
1729 - Last mention of the Rutter family in documentation regarding Burradon.
1734 Dec. 09 - Mary, the wife of Edward Charlton, was buried at Earsdon. The Charlton family were to remain at Burradon until at least 1783. It would appear that up to three generations of Charltons farmed at Burradon. Until 1779 no occupation is given in the numerous entries of Charltons in the Earsdon parish registers, but after this date the occupation of farmer is given. It is not clear, however which moiety they farmed on.
1738 Jan.11 - From this date until 1752 there are three instances where a Robert Cutler, husbandman, is mentioned. Once again it is not clear whose holding he acquired.
1748 - Henry Ogle esq. pays the land tax for Burradon Township in this year and in 1749, 1752 and 1767.
1767 Apr. 12 - First of seven recordings of John Lumsden, a farmer, in the Earsdon parish registers. It can be presumed that he farmed land vacated by Robert Cutler as he runs contemporary with the Charlton family. He is last mentioned in 1785.
1769 - William Ogle esq. pays the land tax on Burradon Township.
1798 - There were fourteen men aged between fifteen and sixty living at Burradon. Between them they owned four carts and eight horses, although most of these would have been the property of the two farmers. This is only three years prior to the first census where twenty-nine people in total were living at Burradon. These figures would have been expanded in recent times by the arrival of small-scale quarrying around the farmstead area. The first quarry worker mentioned in the Earsdon Parish registers appears in 1798, although in 1787 Joseph Potts of Burradon described himself as a stone cutter.
1804 Feb. 14 - The sole landowner William Ogle Wallis Ogle died and seems to have been replaced with an exact namesake. An estate map was drawn up in this year which shows the fields of Burradon township to be fully enclosed and the roads to be exactly in the same position as they are today. The map was later used (1839) by the tithe commissioners. They found in this year that 473 acres was being used as arable land, fifty as meadow and eleven acres waste. One quarry to the east of the tower was in existence.
1806-1824 - The land tax returns for Burradon of 1806, 1812 and 1824 show Thomas Spraggon and Robert Bell to be the farmers. William Ogle, as landowner, was the taxpayer, having to find £11 14s.8d.
1811 - Sir Matthew W. Ridley is recorded as the owner of Burradon Quarry. He was from a prominent North-East family who owned the town of Blyth. The stone he wrought was principally used for the construction of a glass works in that town.
1811 - The census of this year enumerates forty-eight persons living in Burradon. This figure is up from twenty-nine on the 1801 census. Expansion of quarrying may account for most of this rise, although we have no detailed information on the inhabitant's occupations.
- NCH IX App II p 372
- AA2 24 1903, No 24
- Earsdon Parish Registers 1594-1798
- Land Tax Returns 1804, 1806, 1812, 1824
- Hedley, W Percy, Northumberland Families, Vol. I p 153
- Quarter Sessions 1798, Return of Men and Carts