1895-1914 Burradon and Camperdown

See main Heritage page for related links, old photos and historic mapping

The community of Burradon and Camperdown was by now a large and established colliery settlement. The population in 1901 was 2157 a rise from 1776 in 1891. A further pit was established at Weetslade in 1903, which was linked underground to Burradon Colliery. However, the community still remained rather isolated: the roads were no more than dirt tracks and there was no public transport. The residents did not need to go far afield for supplies and amenities being a self-sufficient and self-contained community. As the following trade directory lists show there was an ample supply of shops, repairers, services of various kinds, churches and pubs.

1901 Front Street

The records do not show a great amelioration in living conditions from the previous few decades, but some of the public buildings were rebuilt to be much grander and a working men's club was established in 1901. It is noticeable that around 1900 brick was now almost exclusively used as a building material, as opposed to stone pre-1900. At the end of this period the boundary lines between Burradon and Camperdown were moved, the Seaton Burn Wagonway providing the divide between Burradon to the North and Camperdown to the South. This is dealt with more fully in the article on Boundaries and Administration. Hazlerigge, the previous name for Camperdown, was officially dropped in this period.

Chronology

1896 - The Cramlington and District Co-operative Society purchased land, from Eustace Smith, to erect a purpose built store. This was opened on 17th July 1897, a large tea and entertainment being provided. The building had two floors consisting of a grocery department, shoe sales and repairs, a drapery department and a dance hall. Eustace Smith had purchased a large land holding in Weetslade from the Brandling family at some time between 1842 and 1896.

1897 - Kelly's Directory

Burradon

Board school (formerly colliery school) mixed; average attendance 372 [previous attendance 1872, 164 pupils]. Thomas Dougal, Master [x1891]; Mrs Margaret Fryer, Mist.

  • Anderson, Thomas; Blacksmith [John Anderson 1891; premises north of PM chapel]
  • Atkinson, John; Watchmaker and Grocer [Fryer's Terrace?]
  • Bolton, Alexander; Grocer and Draper [x1871, to the north of the school]
  • Burradon and Coxlodge Coal Co. (Jethro Longridge, Manager)
  • Cramlington and District Co-operative Society Ltd (George Hunter, Secretary)
  • Dorricott, Jonathon; Beer Retailer [Travellers Rest]
  • Hardy, Elizabeth (Mrs); Postmistress [x1891, Weetslade Terrace]
  • Hardy, James; Joiner and Cartwright [x1891]
  • Lambert, Nathanial and Co; Colliery Owners
  • Morrison, Joseph; Collier Lad P.H.
  • Robson, John; Quarry Owner [1858 Adam Tate]
  • Thew, John; Grey Horse P.H.
  • Thompson, Patrick; Butcher [x1891, Weetslade Terrace Clough's shop]
  • Wardle, Michael; Sub-Manager Burradon Colliery
  • Younger, James; Farmer [x1891]

1900 Sep - The "Co-op" felt that a butcher's shop was required for their business and Mr Morrison's shop in Camperdown was leased. After only a few weeks this was felt to be inadequate so more land was purchased to the side of the existing store from Eustace Smith. The Co-operative Society had purchased 880 square yards more than was necessary. This land would not be utilized for some time.

1901 Dec - The Burradon and District Working Men's Social Club was opened. A photograph from around this time (see above) shows the Grey Horse to be a smaller building than the present one and also to be of stone construction. Another photo of the Halfway House, probably of the same date, shows it also to have been constructed in stone and be of a simpler design. It is also around this time that the Collier Lad became the Camperdown Inn, which possibly indicates a rebuilding of the pub into the spacious and grand building that still remains today. In the following decade both the Grey Horse and Halfway House would be rebuilt, enlarged and made grander. The owners of these pubs were responding to higher expectations from their customers and the competition they felt from each other.

1903 May 26 - The first coals were drawn from the new colliery at Weetslade [Lizzie Pit]. This pit was connected underground to Burradon Colliery.

1904 - The school was extended to be able to hold 750 pupils. This followed Balfour's education act of 1902 which took education into state control and funding. The extension is clearly visible as it was done in brick as opposed to the stonework of the original school of 1861. Two houses at the end of Middle Row were demolished to make way for the extension. However, two houses were added on to Burradon Terrace in compensation for this. These houses incorporated a proper staircase and upstairs windows.

1904 - Parliamentary Registers

Ownership Voters

OWNER; ABODE; PROPERTY

  • John Anderson; Anderson's blds; houses, Andersons Buildings [north of P.M. Chapel on Burradon Road]
  • Jonathon Dorricott; 3 Ivy Tce; houses, Burradon [1891 publican of Travellers Rest]
  • Charles Straker; Hexham; land and buildings Burradon Farm, Burradon Colliery, Burradon Quarry
  • Stephen Taylor; Taylor's blds.; houses, Burradon
  • Joseph Thompson; Forest Hall; houses, Dodds buildings
  • Joseph Bolton; Front St. Budn.; cottages, Weetslade Terrace [Shopkeeper]
  • William Brady; Seghill; houses, Wood's Houses
  • George Carr; Leeds; houses, Carr's Cottages [Front Street, Camperdown]
  • John Hardy; Lamesley; houses, Rueben Terrace
  • William Swanson; Gateshead; houses, four cottages Budn.
  • John Younger; Burradon Farm; land
  • James Younger; Burradon Farm; land
  • Occupation Voters
  • James Younger; Burradon Farm; land and tenement
  • Henry Henderson; Hillhead Farm

Buildings (Burradon)

New Row [Strawberry Terrace?], Dorricott's Buildings [Ivy Terrace?], North Row, Farm, Post Office Row, Mean's Buildings, Anderson's Buildings, Office Row, Front Street, Bolton's Buildings, Burradon Terrace, Quality Row [formerly part of Double Row], Pit Row, Taylor's Buildings, Middle Row, Store Buildings, Quarry Cottages, Wilson's Buildings

Buildings (Camperdown)

West Row, Short's Cottages, Weetslade Terrace, Front Row, Carr's Cottages, The Square [Wood's Buildings] Fryer's Terrace, Rueben Terrace, Chapel Cottages, Wood Houses, Wardle's Cottage, Swanson's Cottages/Weetslade Terrace, Pugh's Cottages, Burradon Crossing House

1905 Apr 29 - Rate Book for the relief of the poor in the Parish of Camperdown

PROPERTY; OWNER; GROSS RENTAL; NO. OF HOUSES

  • Dents Buildings; James Dent; £9.00; 5
  • Rueben Terrace; John Hardy; £10.00; 9
  • Hill Head Farm; John C. Straker; £93.10s; 1; Robert Aynsley (farmer)
  • Camperdown; Pugh White and others; £5.00; 6
  • Halfway House (Inn); Pugh White; £66.00; 1; John Ferguson (landlord)
  • House and shop; Pugh White; £12.00; 1; Thomas Fynes (keeper)
  • Camperdown; Mary Dodgson; £7.00; 20
  • Travellers Rest; Stephen Taylor; £30.00; 1; John Scott (landlord) [1897 landlord of Halfway House]
  • Camperdown; Hugh Howard; £4.10s; 2
  • Camperdown Inn; Hugh Howard; £81.00; 1 [formerly Collier Lad]; Henry Oubridge (landlord)
  • House and shop; Isabella Morrison; £24.00; 1 [now a bookies on Front Street. 1897 Joseph Morrison was also publican of Collier Lad]
  • Camperdown; William Brady; £8.10s; 6
  • House and shop; John Hann; £14.00; 1 [beside Grey Horse]
  • Grey Horse Inn; W.B. Reed and Co.; £70.00; 1; Margaret Littlefair (landlord)
  • House and shop; Joseph Latimer; £30.00; 1 [Fryer's Terrace]
  • Fryers Terrace; John Fryer estate; £5.10s; 8
  • Fryers Terrace; Joseph Latimer; £10.00; 2
  • Fryers Terrace; Burradon & Coxlodge coal Co.; £5.10s; 13
  • House and shop; John Atkinson; £20.00; 1 [1897 Watchmaker and Grocer, Fryer's Terrace]
  • Weetslade Terrace; Thomas Maddison; £7.10s; 3
  • Weetslade Terrace; Lewis Lundi; £10.00; 10
  • Weetslade Terrace; Stephen Taylor; £8.15s; 4
  • House and shop; Edward Simmon; £18.00; 1
  • Weetslade Terrace; John Cook; £8.00; 1 [x1897]
  • Co-op; Cramlington Co-op Society; £124.00; 1
  • Burradon W.M. Club; Trustees of Club; £90.00; 1
  • Front Row; Burradon & Coxlodge coal Co.; £5.00; 24
  • The Square; Burradon & Coxlodge coal Co.; £5.00; 40
  • West Row; Burradon & Coxlodge coal Co.; £5.00; 16
  • Wood Houses; Burradon & Coxlodge coal Co.; £5.00; 8
  • Chapel Cottages; Alexander Bolton; £4.00; 3
  • Wagonway and siding; Seaton Burn Coal Co.; £126.00
  • Camperdown; Masters of Balliol College; £18.5s
  • Stable; John Bruce; £3.00

1906 - Kelly's Directory

Hazlerigge (locally called Camperdown)

  • Howey, Joseph; Police Constable [x1891 residing at Fryer's Terrace]
  • Brown, Ralph; Grocer
  • Charlton, Frances; Shopkeeper
  • Cross, William; Camperdown Inn
  • Ferguson, John; Halfway House Inn [x1905]
  • Fynes, Thomas; Grocer [x1905, shop beside Halfway House]
  • Hann, John; Grocer [x1905 shop beside Grey Horse]
  • Morrison, Joseph Burn; Butcher [1905 Isabella Morrison listed as the owner in premises now a bookies on Front Street]
  • Musgrove, William; Greengrocer
  • Scott, John; Beer Retailer [x1905, Travellers Rest]

Burradon

Average attendance at the school 450 [372 in 1897]

Master, Thomas D. Forster

Mistress, Miss Margaret Fryer

  • Anderson, Thomas; Blacksmith [John Anderson in 1891, premises north of P.M. chapel]
  • Atkinson, John; Watchmaker and Grocer
  • Bolton, Alexander; Grocer and Draper [x1871]
  • Longridge, Jethro; Pit Manager [x1897]
  • Social Club (Michael Wardle Sec. [x1897])
  • Cook, John; Grocer
  • Culverson, Henry; Bootmaker
  • Dent, James; Quarry Owner
  • Hall, Michael; Shopkeeper and Beer Retailer
  • Hardy, Elizabeth; Postmistress [x1891 Weetslade Terrace]
  • Hardy, James; Joiner and Cartwright [x1891 Weetslade Terrace]
  • Johnston, James; Butcher [Weetslade Terrace?]
  • Littlefair, Margaret Ann; Grey Horse Inn [x1905]
  • Mason, James; Cycle Repairer
  • Mechanics Institute (James Littlefair Sec.)
  • Smith, Ralph W; Sub Manager Colliery
  • Thompson, John; Smith [site of Burradon Road garage]
  • Younger, James; Farmer

1908 - A United Methodist chapel was built beside Fryer's Terrace. The United Methodist movement had been born the previous year.

1910 - Kelly's Directory

Camperdown

  • Ainsley, Robert and sons; Farmer [x1905 Hillhead]
  • Atkinson, John; Grocer [x1897 Watchmaker and Grocer in Burradon]
  • Cook, Jane Ann; Shopkeeper [1897 John Cook a grocer in Weetslade Terrace]
  • Co-operative Store (George Bolton Manager)
  • Cuthbertson, Henry; Newsagent [lost a leg in a pit accident then had a barber's shop in a hut on the site of the club car park. Became a newsagent working from Norah Place]
  • Dorricott, Jonathon [Travellers Rest, x1897]
  • Ferguson, John; Halfway House Inn
  • Fynes, Emily (Miss); Grocer
  • Hann, Mary; Grocer [John Hann in 1905 beside Grey Horse]
  • Hardy, Alfred; Fried Fish Dealer
  • Johnson, James; Butcher [x1906]
  • Knox, Stephen; Hardware Dealer
  • Littlefair, George; Grey Horse Inn
  • Morrison, Joseph; Butcher [x1891]
  • Parker, William; Camperdown Inn
  • Taylor, George; Shopkeeper
  • Wright, Elizabeth; Shopkeeper

Burradon

Average attendance of School 473

Thomas D Foster, Master

Miss Margaret Fryer, Mistress

  • Anderson, Thomas; Blacksmith [x1906. John Anderson in 1891]
  • Bolton, Alexander; Grocer and Draper [x1871]
  • Burradon and Coxlodge Coal Co.
  • Burradon and District W.M. Social Club (Edwd. Dodd Sec.)
  • Cook, John; [x1897 Weetslade Road]
  • Culverson, Henry; Bootmaker [x1906]
  • Dent, James; Quarry Owner
  • Hardy, James; Joiner and Cartwright [x1891 Weetslade Terrace]
  • Johnston, James; Butcher [x1906 Weetslade Terrace]
  • Littlefair, Margaret Ann; Grey Horse P.H. [x1905]
  • Osborne, Hugh M.B; Physician and Surgeon
  • Thompson, John; Smith
  • Thompson, John James; Cycle Repairer
  • Wilson, William; Grocer [north end of Ivy Terrace]
  • Younger, James; Farmer

1911 Sep 04 - An electric water pump was installed and started in Burradon Colliery. The water from the colliery was pumped down a gutter at the side of where the recreation ground now stands towards Burradon Terraces.

1914 Mar 02 - The first steam bus ran from Benton to the Camperdown Hotel. Tickets could be purchased from Harry Anderson.

1915 Apr 15 - A zeppelin flew over Burradon.

1915 Nov 06 - The shopkeeper and lay preacher Alex Bolton died. A memorial in his honour was unveiled in the United Methodist Church on March 4th of the following year.

1915 - Ordnance Survey Plan (Click to view map)

Burradon Farm E-W

  • Burradon House - x1861 [replaced farmer's houses within the former farmsteads]
  • Farm Buildings - x1861 [replaced previous two farmsteads]
  • Hind's Houses - 1861 11 dwellings; 1871 6 dwellings [a rebuilding of the old farmstead dwellings?]
  • Tower House - x1552
  • Quarry - NW of farm x1858
  • Quarry House - x1871; known as Quarry Bank in 1881
  • Quarry Houses - x1894
  • Burradon Terraces - x1858; 1861 30 dwellings; 1871 39 dwellings; 1881 40 dwellings; 1872 description: garden to the front, one room downstairs and a garret upstairs, the garret has a ceiling, projecting pantry, liberal allowance of kitchen, roofed with slate, garret reached by a ladder with the hole unguarded
  • Power Station - first recording

Burradon Colliery NE-SW

  • Reservoir - Smaller than on the 1894 map to make way for railway sidings which run to the power station
  • Pit Row - x1851, possibly 1841; a smaller row than on the 1894 map indicating that it was no longer being used for dwellings, but rather store rooms for the colliery
  • Recreation Ground - x1894 as a football field. Now expanded
  • Double Row - 1872; 3 rows of 7 dwellings each; 1872 description: 17-18ft square, one room and an attic, the attics are ceiled and have a fireplace, floor of wood [in the previous colliery rows the floor was only of beaten earth], a washhouse and privy was attached to each house, a high step up to the door for dryness
  • Strawberry Terrace - first recording; 7 dwellings
  • North Row - 1872; 27 dwellings; see Double Row for description
  • Middle Row - 1872; 25 dwellings reduced from 27 to make way for a school extension; see Double Row for description
  • Mission Chapel - 1894; Church of the Good Shepherd [an Anglican chapel-of-ease]. This map indicates a building to the east of the church which was not present in 1894
  • Infant School - x1894; on this map the building has been enlarged from 1894
  • Office Row - 1860; 1861 30 dwellings; 1871 40 dwellings; for an 1872 description see Burradon Terraces except in Office Row the garret was unceiled
  • Colliery Manager's House - x1858; on colliery end of Office Row

Burradon Road N-S

  • Post Office Row - x1871 probably 1861; known as Chapel Row in 1871; known as a part of School Row in 1881
  • Primitive Methodist Chapel - 1860s probably 1861; sold to the co-operative society in 1883
  • School - 1861; extended in brick 1904
  • Freeholds [Burradon Road] - x1871; blocks of housing and commercial properties to the north of the school; Bolton's Buildings was included in these properties
  • Primitive Methodist Chapel - x1894 [1890?]
  • Mechanics Institute - x1894 [1890?]
  • Taylors Buildings - x1894; 4 dwellings
  • Ivy Terrace - first recording; 14 dwellings and 1 shop
  • Morris's Buildings - first recording although probably late 1890s; 2 dwellings
  • Co-op Buildings - 1897
  • United Methodist Church - 1908

Camperdown NE-SW

  • Fryer's Terrace - 1861; in 4 blocks of 17 dwellings and a shop
  • Grey Horse Public House - x1841 possibly 1828
  • Dixon's Buildings - x1861; only in 1861 known as Dixon's Buildings 1 dwelling; 1871 1 house; 1881 grocer's shop
  • Norah Place - x1841; 1861 2 dwellings; 1871 uninhabited; 1881 5 dwellings indicating a possible rebuilding on this site; 1891 known as Wood Buildings 4 occupied dwellings
  • Camperdown Hotel Public House - x1855 as Collier Lad
  • Carr's Buildings - x1841; 2 dwellings and a shop; known as Carr's Buildings in 1891
  • Travellers Rest Public House - x1841
  • Garden Terrace - first recording; replaced Wood's Buildings
  • Short's Buildings [site of Station Road] - x1871 5 dwellings and known as Short's Cottages; 1891 6 dwellings
  • Halfway House Pub - x1851; a larger building than on the 1894 map
  • Palmer's Buildings - x1858; 3 dwellings and a shop
  • Atkin Street - first recording
  • Rueben Terrace - first recording; 10 dwellings
  • Rough's Cottage - x1858 possibly x1841; 1871 known as Hazlerigg Cottage; 1881 a butcher's shop

Hazlerigg NE-SW

  • Weetslade Terrace - x1871; 9 dwellings; 1891 10 dwellings
  • Lane Row - x1828; 40 dwellings
  • West Row - x1828; 32 dwellings
  • Smith's Cottages - x1828 as Chapel Buildings; 1861 2 dwellings; 1881 1 dwelling known as Smith's House
  • Weslyan Methodist Chapel - 1830