Burradon and Camperdown 1916-Present

See main Heritage page for related links, old photos and historic mapping

The colliery was the dominant feature of Burradon and Camperdown life until its closure in 1975. The slag heap, pit-head winding gear, smoke and the rumble of locomotives were never far from the senses. However, what comes across in the following sources is the steady improvement in living conditions for the mineworkers from previous times and also being less cut off from the outside world with the introduction of public transport. The mineworkers organised various self-help groups, establishing a welfare ground, a doctor and a nurse amongst other social benefit schemes. The housing was gradually improved with better amenities.

Burradon did become smaller, however, with the establishment of a new settlement, called Fordley, on its northernmost land. (See our YouTube channel for videos of mining in the 1970s and Backworth Colliery locomotives http://uk.youtube.com/shinkicker1200

Chronology

1919 Apr 22 - Electric cutters were first used in Burradon pit to drill holes.

1919 Oct 17 - Burradon pit heap was on fire causing the closure of the colliery. Work did not resume until into November.

1920 Mar 01 - The allotments at the rear of Burradon Terraces were acquired by the residents.

1921 - Kelly's Directory of Northumberland

Burradon Commercial

  • Ainsley, William; Grocer and Beer Retailer [Fryer's Terrace]
  • Anderson, Henry; Cartage Contractor [1910 Thomas Anderson, Blacksmith and 1891 John Anderson, Blacksmith]
  • Atkinson, John; Shopkeeper [x1897 Watchmaker and Grocer]
  • Bolton, Joseph; Grocer and Draper [1910 and since 1871 Alexander Bolton, Grocer and Draper on Burradon Road just north of the school]
  • Burradon and Coxlodge Coal Company
  • Social Club (Wm Nicholson Sec.]
  • Cook, John; Grocer [1897 Weetslade Terrace]
  • Cramlington and District Co-op Society
  • Hardy, Mary (Mrs); Stationer and Post Office [1891 James Hardy, Joiner and Cartwright, Weetslade Terrace]
  • Kell, Edward William; Carpenter and Joiner
  • Mechanics Institute (James Littlefair Sec.)
  • Thompson, John; Smith [x1906 now a car repair workshop at entrance to recreation ground]
  • Thompson, John James; Confectioner [x1910 Cycle Repairer just north of the school]
  • Wilson, William; Grocer [x1910]
  • Younger, William; Farmer

Camperdown Commercial

  • Ainsley, Robert and Sons; Farmers [x1905 Hillhead]
  • Cook, Jane Ann (Mrs); Shopkeeper [x1910]
  • Cuthbertson, Henry; Newsagent [x1910]
  • Ferguson Hannah (Mrs); Halfway House [x1905-10 John Ferguson]
  • Fynes, Thomas and Co; Grocers [1910 Emily Fynes (miss)]
  • Ludkin, Hannah (Mrs); Shopkeeper
  • Midwood, Joshua; Shopkeeper
  • Morrison, Joseph Burn; Butcher [x1891 Front Street, now a bookies]
  • Oubridge, Henry; Camperdown Inn [x1905]
  • Patterson, Robert; Shopkeeper
  • Saint, Joseph W; General Dealer
  • Tyson, Thomas W; Grey Horse Inn
  • Elizabeth Hardy, Sub-Postmistress

1921 - A war memorial was commissioned in the form of a cottage for a village nurse (see the article on the re-dedication ceremony for more details). 1921 was the year of a long-running and bitter miner's strike and saw a rise in self-help and benevolant schemes, although there had long been a tradition of the mineworkers pooling their resources for mutual benefit.

1921 Mar 09 - The Victoria Picture House was opened. This was located to the west of West Row.

1921 May 15 - Burradon Brass Band gave a concert in Gosforth Park in aid of the Soup Kitchen.

1921 May 16 - The Corporation bus route was extended to run to Seaton Sluice. A steam bus had first started operations through the community in 1914.

1921 Jul 06 - Burradon Colliery was put back to work after a thirteen week strike by the miners.

1923 Jan 15 - The building of Ethel Street in Dudley was completed. This had been commissioned by Burradon Colliery.

1923 Feb 12 - Thomas Gray became the manager of the Co-op.

1923 Sep 15 - The gutter carrying water from the colliery passed Burradon Terraces to the burn at Annitsford was piped in.

1925 May 09 - Aged miner's homes in Dudley were completed and began to be occupied.

1925 - Kelly's Directory of Northumberland

Councillors of Longbenton UDC Burradon Ward

  • G. Bell
  • T. Haswell
  • R.E. Shillaw
  • Master of School, William Robert Hindmarsh
  • Mistress of School, Miss Margaret Fryer [x1910]
  • Correspondent, Joseph Bormond

Burradon Commercial

  • Anderson, Henry; Cartage Contractor [x1921]
  • Bolton, Joseph; Grocer and Post Office [x1910; premises on Burradon Road now a men's hairdressers]
  • Burradon and Coxlodge Coal Company
  • Social Club (Wm Nicholson Sec.]
  • Cook, Michael; Grocer [1897-1921 John Cook, Weetslade Terrace just south of Butcher's (Clough's) shop]
  • Cramlington and District Co-op Society
  • Latimer, Mary Jane (Mrs); Grocer and Beer Retailer [Fryer's Terrace]
  • Mechanics Institute (James Littlefair Sec.)
  • Means, Robert; Shopkeeper
  • Newcastle Electric Supply Company [1st mention]
  • Thompson, John; Smith [x1906 now a car repair workshop at entrance to recreation ground]
  • Thompson, Elizabeth (Mrs); Confectioner [1921 John James Thompson, just north of the school]
  • Wilson, William; Grocer [x1910]
  • Younger, William; Farmer; Telephone Dudley 3
  • Camperdown Commercial
  • Box, James; Camperdown Inn
  • Cuthbertson, Margaret (Mrs); Newsagent [1910-21 Henry Cuthbertson]
  • Fynes, Thomas and Co; Grocers [x1921; 1910 Emily Fynes (miss)]
  • Hann, Mary (Mrs); and Sons; Grocers [x1910; shop beside Grey Horse]
  • Hill, George; Shopkeeper
  • Ludkin, Jane (Mrs) and Co; Shopkeeper [1921 Hannah Ludkin]
  • Midwood, Joshua; Shopkeeper [x1921]
  • Moore, Thomas; Travellers Rest PH
  • Morrison, Joseph; Butcher [x1891 Front Street, now a bookies]
  • Ord, John William; Farmer; Telephone Benton 139 [Hillhead]
  • Oubridge, Henry; Camperdown Inn [x1905]
  • Pickering, Joseph; Grey Horse Inn
  • Saint, Joseph W; General Dealer [x1921]
  • Victoria Picture House Company [1st mention]

1931 - Population 2273; 503 dwellings 4.52 person per dwelling. The population in 1901 was 2157.

1931 Jun - The road leading past Office Row was laid with tarmac.

1931 Jun - A road was constructed linking Annitsford with Seghill. This was opened by Stan Seymour.

1931 - Parliamentary Register, Borough of Wallsend, Burradon Ward

Anderson's Buildings 1-11; Annitsford Terrace 1-14; Atkin Street 1-13; Bolton's Buildings 1-3, Joseph Bolton, Shopkeeper [x1925];Burradon Farm, William Younger; Burradon Farm Cottages 1-6; Burradon Terrace 1-22; Camperdown Avenue 1-12; Co-operative Buildings;

Double Row 1-14; Front Street, including: Railway Cottage, Grey Horse Inn, Joseph Pickering Landlord [x1925], Camperdown Hotel, George Robson Landlord, Travellers Rest, Robert Nixon Landlord, Rose View; Fryer's Terrace 2-20; Garden Terrace 1-12; Hedley's Buildings 1-7; Hillhead Farm, John Ord, Farmer living at Forest Hall; Hillhead Engine Cottage [the engine was marked as disused on a 1915 map, but the cottage remained in existence for a time afterwards]; Ivy Terrace 1-29; Mean's Buildings 1-11; Middle Row 1-49 missing the even numbers; Norah Place 1-6; North Row 2-54 missing the odd numbers; Office Row 1-40, John Templeton in Office House; Park View 1-10; Nurse's Home, Annie Alice Ions, Nurse; Post Office Row 1-10; Power Station, Thomas Henry Pickard;Quality Row 1-7; Quarry Row 1-5; Quarry Cottage; Rueben Terrace 1-10; Short's Buildings 1-8; Station Road, including: Halfway House, Arthur Barker, Landlord; Strawberry Terrace 1-7; Taylor's Buildings 1-6; Thompson's Buildings 1-3; Weetslade Terrace 1-31; West Row 1-32; West View 1-7; White's Buildings 1-4; Wilson's Buildings 1-2.

Photographs from the 1920s show Lane Row still extant, but it is missing from the above list and can be presumed to have been demolished shortly before 1931.

1932 Jan 31 - A small fire occurred at the Mechanic's Institute.

1933 Oct 03 - Lamps were installed and lit on Burradon Bank towards Annitsford.

1935 - Longbenton Urban District Council start to build housing on a field to the south of Camperdown Front Street (Bell Grove).

1935 - Kelly's Directory of Northumberland. See 1938 entry for commercial inhabitants, as there was no change from this year.

1936 Jul 01 - The United Bus Company (red buses) took over operations from the Corporation buses (blue buses). Services ran via Burradon from Newcastle and Longbenton to Cramlington and Seaton Sluice.

1936 Oct 26 - Construction was begun on a new road linking Burradon and Dudley. This was opened on June 21 1937.

1936 - New outside lavatories were installed at Burradon Terrace. These were flush toilets.

1937 Jan - The power sub-station and flats beside it, at the end of the farm track, were pulled down and a smaller power station built in their place.

1937 Oct 03 - Miss Margaret Fryer, the long-time mistress of Burradon school, died at Middlesborough.

1937 Nov 05 - The colliery started to pay its workforce every Friday instead of fortnightly, as had been the long-standing custom. The week without pay had been known as baff week.

1938 Feb 28 - A fire occurred in the billiards room of the Mechanic's Institute.

1938 Jun 18 - The back lane of Burradon Terraces was paved.

1938 Sep 17 - The community was fitted with gas masks in preparation for the expected war.

1938 - Kelly's Directory of Northumberland

Burradon Commercial

  • Anderson, Henry; Cartage Contractor; TN Dudley 11 [x1921]
  • Bolton, Joseph; Grocer and Post Office [x1910; premises on Burradon Road now a men's hairdressers]
  • Social Club (James Stringer Sec.)
  • Caller, Edward; Shopkeeper
  • Cramlington and District Co-op Society
  • Hazlerigg and Coxlodge Coal Company; TN Dudley 35
  • Mechanics Institute (Isaac Tomlinson Sec.)
  • Newcastle Electric Supply Company [x1925]
  • Robson, Geo Wm; Newsagent [wooden hut beside railway line on what is now the Millennium Green]
  • Thompson Bros; Grocers; TN Dudley 39 [various Thompsons trading in Burradon since 1905]
  • Thompson, Edward; Shopkeeper
  • Wears, Samuel; Grocer
  • Wilson, William; Grocer [x1910; at the end of Ivy Terrace and possibly at a later date became a draper]
  • Younger, William; Farmer; Telephone Dudley 3

Camperdown Commercial

  • Bolton, Geo; Shopkeeper [was previously a manager of the Co-op until the 1926 strike when he was dismissed for giving too much unrecoverable credit]
  • Camperdown Hotel; Henry Oubridge [x1905]
  • Charlton, Mary Ann (Mrs); Shopkeeper
  • Grey Horse Inn; John Johnson Hetherington
  • Hann, William; Grocer; TN Dudley 40 [various members of this family since 1910; shop beside Grey Horse]
  • Langley, Jessie (Mrs); Shopkeeper
  • Morrison, Joseph; Butcher [x1891 Front Street, now a bookies]
  • Ord, John William; Farmer; Telephone Benton 139 [x1925 Hillhead]
  • Patterson, Robert S; Shopkeeper
  • Rogerson, Maggie May (Mrs); Shopkeeper
  • Saint, Joseph W; General Dealer [x1921]
  • Travellers Rest Public House; T. Wilkinson
  • Victoria Picture House Company [x1925]
  • Wilson, Thomas; Shopkeeper

1938 Nov 23 - Dr. John Dagg was appointed as the community G.P. This came about because of the death three months earlier of Dr. Roberts. Dr. Dagg operated from a wooden structure on Burradon Road. He lived at Forest Hall. Dr. White had been an interim replacement.

1938 - Miners were given the right to their first paid holidays of three days.

1938 - Robson and Jessie Campbell bought the shop which is now the Post Office. Rington's tea could be bought from here as the usual method of supply, a cart, did not visit Burradon.

1939 - William Sanderson is listed on the Parliamentary register as being the farmer of Hillhead.

1939 Apr 20 - Work commenced on the building of the Welfare Hall. This finally opened on December 30 1939 and was opened by James Bowman and James Taylor the colliery manager.

1939 Apr - Tenants were given the keys for the newly completed housing of Allanville.

1939 - Miners were now to be allowed one weeks' paid holiday.

1939 Aug 21 - The older children from Burradon were now to attend the school at Dudley.

1939 Sep - The Co-operative "store" was altered. The offices that had previously been at the front of the building were moved to the rear. The first floor hall was given over to a furniture department as the newly-built Welfare Hall now provided recreational functions, such as dancing.

c1940 - Ordnance Survey Plan (Click to enlarge map)

Burradon Farm E-W

  • Burradon House - x1861 [replaced farmer's houses within the former farmsteads]
  • Farm Buildings - x1861 [replaced previous two farmsteads]
  • Hind's Houses - 1861 11 dwellings; 1871 6 dwellings [a rebuilding of the old farmstead dwellings?]
  • Tower House - x1552
  • Quarry - NW of farm x1858 [now marked as old on the map, indicating that quarrying had ceased]
  • Quarry House - x1871; known as Quarry Bank in 1881
  • Quarry Houses - x1894
  • Burradon and Annitsford Terraces - x1858; 1861 30 dwellings; 1871 39 dwellings; 1881 40 dwellings
  • Power Station - x1915; rebuilt after this date

Burradon Colliery NE-SW

  • Reservoir - Smaller than on the 1894 map to make way for railway sidings which run to the power station
  • Pit Row - x1851, possibly 1841; a smaller row than on the 1894 map indicating that it was no longer being used for dwellings, but rather store rooms for the colliery
  • Recreation Ground - x1894 as a football field. Now expanded and areas fenced off for various activities e.g. bowling
  • Double Row - 1872; 3 rows of 7 dwellings each
  • Strawberry Terrace - first recording; 7 dwellings
  • North Row - 1872; 27 dwellings
  • Middle Row - 1872; 25 dwellings reduced from 27 to make way for a school extension
  • Mission Chapel - 1894; Church of the Good Shepherd [an Anglican chapel-of-ease]
  • Infant School - x1894
  • Office Row - 1860; 1861 30 dwellings; 1871 40 dwellings;
  • Colliery Manager's House - x1858; on colliery end of Office Row
  • Burradon Road N-S
  • Primitive Methodist Chapel - 1860s probably 1861; sold to the co-operative society in 1883 by this time a dwelling house
  • School - 1861; extended in brick 1904
  • Freeholds [Burradon Road] - x1871; blocks of housing and commercial properties to the north of the school; Bolton's Buildings was included in these properties
  • Primitive Methodist Chapel - x1894 [1890?]
  • Mechanics Institute - x1894 [1890?]
  • Taylors Buildings - x1894; 4 dwellings
  • Ivy Terrace - x1915; probably late 1890s; 29 dwellings and 1 shop
  • Morris's Buildings - x1915; probably late 1890s; 2 dwellings
  • Co-op Buildings - 1897
  • United Methodist Church - 1908

Camperdown NE-SW

  • Fryer's Terrace - 1861; in 4 blocks of 17 dwellings and a shop
  • Grey Horse Public House - x1841 possibly 1828
  • Dixon's Buildings - x1861; only in 1861 known as Dixon's Buildings 1 dwelling; 1871 1 house; 1881 grocer's shop
  • Norah Place - X1841; 1861 2 dwellings; 1871 uninhabited; 1881 5 dwellings indicating a possible rebuilding on this site; 1891 known as Wood Buildings 4 occupied dwellings
  • Camperdown Hotel Public House - x1855 as Collier Lad
  • Carr's Buildings - x1841; 2 dwellings and a shop; known as Carr's Buildings in 1891
  • Travellers Rest Public House - x1841
  • Garden Terrace -x1915; replaced Wood's Buildings
  • Short's Buildings [site of Station Road] - x1871 5 dwellings and known as short's cottages; 1891 6 dwellings; 1931 8 dwellings
  • Halfway House Pub - x1851; a larger building than on the 1894 map
  • Palmer's Buildings - x1858; 3 dwellings and a shop
  • Atkin Street - x1915
  • Rueben Terrace - x1915; 10 dwellings
  • Weetslade Terrace - x1871; 9 dwellings; 1891 10 dwellings; 1931 numbered 1-31
  • Weslyan Methodist Chapel - 1830
  • Camperdown Avenue - x1931; 12 dwellings
  • Allanville - first recording
  • Moor View - first recording
  • Bell Grove - first recording

1940 Oct 05 - The chimney at Weetslade Colliery was demolished as a more modern means of pit ventilation was implemented. (See Disaster section for a description of how a colliery was ventilated in the 1860s.)

1940 Dec 31 - The chimney at Burradon Colliery was demolished.

1941 Jul 12 - The cage at Burradon Colliery was accidentally hoisted up to the pulley wheels, causing damage to the pit shaft. The underground workers had to escape via Weetslade pit.

1941 Aug 25 - A canteen for Burradon Colliery was opened in the pit manager's house. Mrs Saint was the manageress.

1941 Sep 01 - Bombs landed in Ethel Street destroying houses and killing two men.

1943 Feb 11 - Enemy incendiary bombs were dropped on a field at the end of Burradon Road, known as Gallow Hill, setting the farmer's haystack ablaze.

1946 - The blacksmith's workshop on Burradon Road was listed in the Parliamentary registers as a Cottage Filling Station. It was still known by this name in 1951, but by 1969 it was listed as a garage owned by John Cattle. Whether it still served fuel is not known. Charles Gill is the tenant of Hillhead Farm.

1951 Sep 23 - A purpose-built colliery canteen and baths was opened on land opposite Office Row.

1951 Oct 01 - An explosion occurred at Weetslade Colliery killing five men. The bodies were not recovered for over a year.

1952 Jan 19 - Festival Cottages, on the site of Lane Row, were officially opened on this day.

1952 Dec 22 - Burradon Terraces were modernised by installing hot and cold water provision and new fireplaces.

1953 - Miners were given a fortnight's paid holiday.

1953 Jan 15 - The post office was transferred to its present location on Burradon Road, which was under the ownership of the Campbells.

1955 Jan 14 - The installation of electric lighting was completed in the colliery-owned houses. The work had been carried out by colliery electricians. Prior to this, the houses had been lit by gas lamps.

1958 Oct - The Victoria Picture House closed.

1960-62 - Housing on Burradon Road (Mean's Arch) was demolished.

1960 - Electric street lighting was installed along Burradon Bank towards Annitsford and also installed within the power station.

1961 - Electric street lighting was installed on the road from Burradon to Dudley.

1961 Apr 22 - A tea room was built onto the Welfare Hall and was officially opened on this day.

1962 Jan 17 - Tenants were given the keys to new bungalows on Weetslade Terrace.

1964 - Robert Parker became the manager of the Co-op.

1964 Apr 05 - A new "United" bus service was started from Morpeth to Whitley Bay via Burradon.

1966 May 29 - The long-standing headmaster of Burradon School, Robert Hindmarch, died aged 86 years.

1966 - The two houses at the end of Front Street, Camperdown, opposite the Halfway House, were demolished.

1966 - Weetslade Colliery was closed, one year after having a new shaft installed at the cost of one million pounds.

1968 Jul 08 - Tenants were given keys to the first of the houses of Shillaw Place and Means Drive which were built to replace the soon to be demolished colliery rows.

1968 Aug 22 - A ceremony was held to celebrate the building of the 3000th house by Longbenton Urban District Council. This was 85 Means Drive, the keys of which were handed to Mr A. Wardle the chairman of the Council.

1960s - The site of the former Hill Head Farm was taken over by the Local Authority during the time of the erection of Killingworth township. A large portion of the land was used to create a tree and shrub nursery and was instrumental in supplying the new Killingworth Township development. A depot was also built on this site - almost identically on the site of the old farmhouse - which had a building comprising: toilets, offices, men's room and an area for tractors, and other vehicles to be parked overnight. A fenced off area surrounding the depot was a storage place for raw materials - gravel, cement, playground equipment etc., and also the trees and shrubs. Work squads were based here for both playground maintenance and the shrub nursery. In 1980, the nursery was described as holding annually more than £40,000 of stock.

1969 Jun 27 - The postmistress, Dorothy Shanks, died. She had previously worked for Joseph Bolton when he was the postmaster and took over his business on his death. The post office was relocated to its present position after this date, ran by Frank Maughan.

1971 - Population 1590. In 1931 there were 2273 persons.

1973 Sep 06 - The Co-op reopened, after a refit, to become a self-service outlet.

1975 Nov 05 - Burradon Colliery closed.

1976 Jul 01 - North Tyneside Council approved a recommendation from the Recreation and Amenities Committee to purchase the Burradon Miner's Welfare (recreation) Ground from the Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation. The Ground had previously been administered and financed by the workforce of the colliery, but this had closed the previous year.

1977 Jul 14 - This piece on the closure of the Seaton Burn Wagonway appeared in the Evening Chronicle: "The line running through Burradon was closed down this week. This is a two mile stretch of track which runs from Hollwell junction to the Washery at Weetslade. It was most recently used to carry coals from Eccles colliery, Backworth to the Washery. The closure of Burradon and Havannah collieries meant the closure of the line inevitable..."

1979 - The pavilion in the recreation grounds, for keeping rackets and golf clubs etc, was pulled down.

1979 - Strawberry Terrace was renovated and relived in.

1980 - The power station, United Methodist chapel and pit baths were demolished.

1981 Feb 17 - The Evening Chronicle reported on a public meeting to be held to discuss the future of the recreation (Welfare) ground and hall.

1981 - Population 1680 (up 5.66% on 1971) in 577 dwellings; 2.91 persons per dwelling.

1981 Jun 10 - A ceremony was held on Kirklands estate where Wimpey were building 106 partnership homes, to hand over the first keys to Mr John Bailey and wife Gladys. [The partnership was between the council and private builders where first time buyers could purchase their houses at a special discount rate.] EC

1983 Nov 10 - The long-standing doctor to the community, John Dagg, died this day.

1984 Jan 20 - The Primitive Methodist chapel on Burradon Road was demolished and the construction of houses on the site was quickly begun.

1984 Feb - Norah Place, on Camperdown's Front Street, was renovated and reoccupied.

1984 Jul 07 - This piece entitled "Life on the Farm" was featured in the Evening Chronicle: "Farmer Will Younger is opening up the farm to the public next week. Visitors can see machinery, go round cowsheds and pick strawberries."

1984 - The housing of Cheviot Grange was erected by building firm Barratt.

1989 - An application was made to North Tyneside Council to dump building waste on the site of the colliery by W and M Thompson Ltd, who had purchased the site. Villagers, headed by Tony Isbister, thought that this may pose a danger and spread vermin and got up a petition to stop the proposal. North Tyneside Council turned down the application and instead balloted the villagers as to the future of the pit site. 61% of those who returned their ballot paper where in favour of a reclamation scheme involving the creation of a woodland and some land being returned to agricultural use.